Thursday, June 11, 2009

Wind and Waves

Yesterday evening Nick and I made a decision to get out of Lima and head north asap. We cancled our hotel room for the night and bought a bus ticket for Pacasmayo in the north. A 12 hour overnight bus ride later we had arrived at our destination and ready to catch some waves. The bus was definitely nicer than the plane we took to get here. Plenty of leg room, large semi=sleeper seats, dinner, a game of bingo, and an on the road movie were just a few of the perks. Greyhound should take note of Perus luxury bus line. Anyway, today was what I have been waiting for. Nick and I rented boards from our small hostel located near the beach and headed out. Pacamayo is home to one of the longest left hand waves in the world but is by no means a surfing town. Pretty much the only people that surf here are the gringos that come from abroad for a shot at Peruvian perfection. After a nice surf by the beach in front of town it was time for the real reason I initially planned a trip to Peru. Wind. The thermal wind starts picking up around 12 and I couldnt wait. I headed further down the beach and rigged my kite. I was in front of arguably the best kitesurfing point break in the world and I had the entire 3 mile break to myself. This is kitsurfing heaven. After riding until my legs were numb and my torso torn I headed in. I was joined by about 4 other windsurfers during the time I was on the waves. I have been talking to one of them that is staying in our hostal and tmrw we are going to Chicama to surf. Chicama is said to be the longest wave in the world, and its supposed to be BIG. My body is shot todays watersport extraveganza and from over 18 hours of traveling the last two days. However, I will be getting up at 630 tmrw morning to go see and feel what Chicama, the longest wave in the world, is all about. As long as the conditions remain good we will stay and enjoy the incredible combination of Peruvian wind and waves.Check out the link to see me on Google Maps.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

With anticapation each day I wait to get your daily Gps update. Its great. Do you recive my text's? Hopefuly you do and enjoy them. It would be a great way for all of us to givve you some reading material. I sure one day universal affordable cell phone will be available. Good to hear your adventures.DOes Nick have a blog? Like to hear Nicks perspective. Love ya DAD

Unknown said...

Awesome dude!! definitely put up some pics

Unknown said...

Very cool Chase. Post some pics soon.

Anonymous said...

You might want to pick up a cactus from the Patagonian desert if you get near there. Wind surfing up and down one of the glaciers might be cool too, might even be the first to do it. The GPS kinda kills your theme "where in the world is M.Chassie" does it not?

Josh Mosser said...

good to hear all is well for ya bro! I'll hold down fort treasure island.

.. 7ft mile waves with 12m parked.. just damn...

Mom said...

The "Mssr. Chassie" comment must be from Grandpa John..... The GPA thing is cool - nice to have photos of the areas as well. I know you're having a fabulous time. Sent you a You Tube video of Pam skydiving with Keith - hope you recv'd it. Love you sweetie....sorry I missed your call. Continue to enjoy....xxoo