Friday, July 18, 2008

Serenity in Sinai : )






Kyle and I just crossed the border from back into Israel from Sinai. I don't think I have ever had a more relaxing 3 days in my life. After entering Sinai throught the Taba border crossing we grabbed a cab and headed down the coast. That would be the last time we were aware of the time and day. After an hour drive south we arrived at our Beduine camp. Kum Kum 3 was the name of our camp. It was located on an empty stretch of beach with mountains behind it and a coral reef in front. 10 miles across the Gulf of Aquaba is Saudi Arabia. The Sinai region is amazingly beautiful. I will let the pictures do the talking. We basically woke up whenever the sun poured through our hut and went to bed when the moon was setting behind the mountains. I can't tell you any times. Time was left at the border. So we would wake up, take about 4 steps and go swimming out to the coral reef. After exploring around the reef we would eat a nice breakfast at the kitchen in our camp. Egyptain pancakes were our favorite. Sweeter than pancakes at home, covered in chocalate and fruit. Then we would sit and read in a hammock or on some of the many large pillows under the tent. Usually I would fall back asleep and wake sometime in the afternoon. Now it was time for another swim and then maybe some paddle ball with Kyle. By now the sun is getting close to the mountain peaks, so I know its time to shower. After a refreshing outdoor shower its time to read and take another nap. Dinner comes as the moon begins to rise over the mountains on the Saudi side. After dinner we play some cards and listen to the beduines play traditional music under the glow of the moon. Its a hard life! : ) It was like we were in a time warp. Everything goes by at a pace that you don't get anywhere else. Complete silence surrounds you like the mountains and the reef. I think I am going to go back before I leave in August. I almost forgot the best part. We paid 15 Egyptain pounds per night. Thats roughly $3.....Enough said.....

1 comment:

Mom said...

Good to hear your voice this morning! Better not spread the word about Sinai - it looks awesome! Love you guys, Mom