Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dominical For Now

Yesterday Kyle and I headed to a town called Dominical 44 km to the south of Manuel Antonio. The trip should take less than an hour. However, the Manuel Antonio local government has chosen not to pave the road in between the two towns in an effort to keep tourists in Manuel Antonio. This is marketing your city, Costa Rican style! All you have to do is to make it harder to get to any other towns! Well, it didn´t keep Kyle and I away and actually makes Dominical my new favorite place in Costa Rica! We are staying in a hostel directly in front of the best beach break in the area. This morning we woke up for a sunrise session and walked about the same distance most of us walk to take the garbage out to surf. I like this walk much better! This is not to say that Domincal is not developed, but not nearly as much as other towns. It´s funny because we are always searching for a place that is ¨untouched¨ and not ¨developed¨. However, it is because of our search that places become known, visited, and later more commercialized. So now I find myself in a dilemma. Should I write that I hate this place and no one should ever come here. keyboard won´t let me do a queston mark, or parenthesis...lol....No, I tell about how great it is, thus contributing to the very problem that I seek to avoid. The simple fact that I am here is the reason for development. So now you see my problem. Instead of just not going in the first place, I think that we can still enjoy what our planet has to offer without commercializing everything. Tell that to the people trying to make money and Í´m sure they will not agree. In the end I guess we should just try to always have a positive impact on our surroundings, whether they are human or in nature. On that note, Kyle and I are going to follow my rules and enjoy the rest of our trip in Dominical.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have text service there? Tried to call you guys. Will try each night around 10pm your time. Is your spainish getting better? Hope all is wel with you two.
Seeya Luv
DAD

Anonymous said...

Hi - I know what you mean about commercialization and I agree with you about that. I enjoyed reading your entry. Glad you're doing some exploring of the surrounding area. How are your finances holding up? Have fun and be safe....Love you lots, Mom