Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Titicaca to Cuzco

Just got back from 4 days in Copacabana, Bolivia on lake Titicaca. Copacabana is a sleepy town on the lake just across the border with Peru. We chose to go there because it is home to Isla del Sol and Isla del Luna. The islands of the sun and moon are an hour boat ride from Copacabana and is where the Incan creation myth is centered. The Incans believed that the sun was born here and where the first Incan people came from. After spending two nights on the island I can certainly see why. Our hostel was on top of the island with panoramic views of both Bolivia and Peru. Bolivia´s Cordilla Real mountian range rose dramatically about 30 miles from the island on the lake shore. The snow capped peaks where beautiful to watch as clouds moved in and the mountains changed colors all day. After our second night on the south end of the island we began our 3 hour hike to the north end where the Incan ruins where primarily located. The hike was great and a nice break from the intense hikes we had done in the canyon. On the north end there was crystal clear water and an Incan palace with The Rock of the Puma nearby. The Rock of the Puma was used for animal and human sacrifices to the gods. It was cool to imagine the Incan rituals taking place here 500 hundred years ago. The island was great and it was time to head back to Copacabana for one night before back to Puno. These sound like simple plans, however my stomach was ready to take me on a whole other kind of adventure! Not the kind of adventure I would ever like to experience again. I will spare you the details in order to save your appitite. Lets just say I never knew my body was capable of making the noises it did. I´m writing this 24 hours after the first incident and feeling a lot better! A short trip to the local hospital in Bolivia set me right. $5 USD later and I had the antibiotics I needed for my road to recovery. I am considering getting some cavities filled at these great exchange rates in South America! Tomorrow Sarah and I are heading to Cuzco for Machu Pichuu, river rafting, and whatever else the local travel agency touts can try to con us into for some commission. Still unable to put pics up. Hopefully in Cuzco. Hope all is well back in the northern hemishere!

No comments: